Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Vero (Velro) Beach

Yes we are in Vero Beach Florida. It's nickname Velcro Beach could easily apply to many people we are stalled here but have plans to continue our trip to the Bahamas in the new year.

It has been six months travelling and I (Linda) needed a break. I returned to Toronto and visited family sorted out a few items and just ran out of time. Made it down to the clubhouse once but did not see any year round boaters. Saw Marion and Jason. Went to poker on Friday night and met up with Ron. It was great seeing everyone but there were so many people that I missed two weeks is just not enough time to fit everyone in.

I think Jack was relieved that I was back as I think he may have had reservations as to whether I would return but the warm weather won out and the support of my family to continue this once in a life time adventure brought me back to the sunny skies of Florida and celebrating Christmas in shorts.

When I returned home Chris my son in law came down and sailed the boat down from St. Augustine to Vero Beach. They saw the festival of lights in St. Augustine but as I was in Toronto no pictures were taken. They took the boat down the ICW as there were high winds out on the ocean.

Jack will have to fill you in on that part of the trip.

Since we have been in Vero Beach we have met up with many of our fellow cruisers and former PCYC members Pat and Addison Chan.

Pat and Addison had us over for dinner where of course caught up on our adventures and our woes.
It was great to see them and plan to send some time with them once Xmas is over as their wealth of knowledge on the next section of our trip is invaluable.

The dolphins welcomed me back with quite a spectacular show which I managed to get photos of.

This is a hub for people going over to the Bahamas. Great place to recuperate, provision and do some maintenance on your boat.  Speaking of maintenance we had the big brown mustache not from the ICW but also from the St.Lawrence well found a natural product to get rid of it and I am going to take picture of before and after. The pro.duct is real lemon straight from the bottle. Works wanders.
It is better than the harsh chemicals that west marine sells.

Thank heavens we have not been having any more overheating problems once we cleaned out the v drive but as Murphy`s Law will have it electrical problems raised its head.  Perhaps Xanadu is a little tired too. When we were on the mooring ball the batteries would only charge up to about 40 % amp hours when the generator was on, of course the search was on. Addison came over and gave us a hand but still we had a problem so we decided to take a slip for a few days to see if we could find the problem and guess what plugged her in and she charges up to a 100% amp hours in about 6 hours.

Now what do you do just like going to the doctor feeling miserable and once you get an appointment everything is fine. The local people here are willing to lend a hand and refer you to the right people to help you, Thursday night get together and a Xmas pot luck which we will miss as we are meeting up with our friends Kathy and Ross.

My list of chores seem to be getting longer instead of shorter.  I thought I was retired well there goes that idea as I do not have enough hours in the day to get everything done but at least I have more time to accomplish the list over the next few years I hope it will be enough time.

I am going to have visitors to come down so I can relax and enjoy company that will take my mind off the ever endless list of chores to enjoy the sunsets and stars at night and good company.
miss you all
We have an addition to the Xanadu a portable freezer whoops Jack won't fit but those steaks certainly will. yes Ron we know you like your steak so when will you and Meg be visiting, so don't take too long as the steaks may be gone.

I know that there will be alot of PCYC members that will be heading south in the near future please keep in touch so we can get together. Well enough of that we miss you all and hope to catch up either on the seas or on land don't forget to let us know your plans but as boaters know our schedules are not carved in stone and we will pass sometimes at night but more often than not.









No comments:

Post a Comment